'78 Granada Turbo approval documentation

X

XR4X4

Gast im Fordboard
Hello Ford-friends in Germany!
Sorry for writing in English, my German is too bad in written form.

I’m the lucky owner of four Fords, three German, and one US:

Please have a look at http://www.tronderford.com/treff/2007/1_4.jpg

Both the ’86 Sierra XR4X4 and the ’88 Scorpio GL 4X4 are by me, restored into original condition.

The US-made Maverick is a 2002-model and still in original condition.

The fourth one, a ’78 Granada Ghia 2,8i turbo intercooler, is a light custom built car, with an Eichberg turbo set.

It’s a detailed description of this car at my homepage at http://www.jorgen.tronderford.com
click the German flag, and you can read the “Gesichte” in German.
I’ve built this car by myself and the turbo set was bought from Helmut Eichberg, “selbst”, when I visited his store and workshop at Hasbergen, outside Osnabrück, in 1986.

The car has been stored away since 1990, and used only in connection with our annual gatherings, with impermanent number plates, arranged every year since year 2000, se homepage http://www.tronderford.com.

Now, when the car is passed the magical 30-years of age, it’s possible to register the car as a veteran car, as I’ve understood you are entitle “oldtimer” in Germany.

In that connection, I have a great great problem:
I have been in touch with the officer for veteran certifications at the Norwegian agency for vehicle certification, like your TÜV.

The officer claims that he has to been displayed a certificate, which prove that the car has been approved with the Eichberg turbo set or an equivalent set, from a German certifying agency.

I’ve tried to reach Eichberg GmbH, several times, by e-mail, telephone, telefax and mail, but it’s completely impracticable to get an answer from Eicberg, it seems that the company is resigned. A Ford shop in Hasbergen has now confirmed, that Eichberg Motorsport is closed.

Therefore I’m now try this way, are there any visiting this forum, which can help me.

I need a copy of an approval document, which confirms the certification of an MkII-Granada, (1978 – 1985)

Please help me, if not, I’m forced to rebuild my Granada back to a self aspirating 2,8i to get the number plates back on the vehicle.

Please take contact at jorgen@tronderford.com

Salute!

Jørgen Løvseth
Norway

gruffti

Foren Gott
Dear Jørgen,

the accessibleness of Eichberg is a well known problem since a couple of years.

As far as I know, Eichberg Turbo has been a 'May-Turbo'. That has been the very only Turbo for Granada.

Perhaps you might contact 'Schwabengarage' at Stuttgart. That Ford-Dealer did in 1982 and 1983 some Granada Tuning with May-Turbos for the Ford-Motor-Company.
This cars were designed for some special journalists.

May be, that they are able to help you.

Regards
Günther

X

XR4X4

Gast im Fordboard
Thank you for your tips

Dear Günther!
As you said, I’ve forwarded a request to the Schwabengarage.
As you also can see, I’ve edited my text above, since I’ve learned today, that Firma Eichberg GmbH is closed down.
I’ve also corrected the title for my text above, now asking for Gutacten for turbo in Granada in general.

Thank You Günther!
Jørgen

K

Knuddel

Gast im Fordboard
RE: Thank you for your tips

Hi Jorgen,

I read about your problems. A second chance is to write to:

TÜV Süd
-Liebhaberstelle-
Stuttgart-Feuerbach

This TÜV has datas like Importcars of the USA and other "exotic cars", to come first time on the road in Germany.
May be they have the informations that you need.

X

XR4X4

Gast im Fordboard
Thanks Knuddel

Thanks for a new recommendation Knuddel!

I have as well taught about the TÜV offices, and yesterday
I’ve sent a mail to TÜV-Nord/Niedersachsen/Osnabrück, but they haven’t answered yet.
I ment it was natural to take contact with the office responsible for the actual certification.

I went for your recommendation and forwarding the same mail to
TÜV Süd-Liebhaberstelle-Stuttgart-Feuerbach.

Thank you!
Jørgen

I’m not thinking so much about Pearl Harbor, but I also have an American.
My American has a WIN-number by German standard, WFO…., but it’s confirmed that all Maveric’s are produced at Ford Claycomo Plant in Kansas City. But the car is first sold by Ford Nehrkorn, http://www.fordnehrkorn.de/ in Flensburg. It’s a 3,0.

X

XR4X4

Gast im Fordboard
RE: Thank you Knuddel, I've tried TÜV Süd

Strange, I don’t understand this. Eichberg had since ca 1985 in their advertisements and catalogue, been marketing their TÜV-certified turbo sets, but the TÜV had never heard about them, hm?

Se the correspondance with Hans-Werner Wormer in the TÜV SÜD below.
With regards
Jørgen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fra: Wormer, Hans-Werner [mailto:Hans-Werner.Wormer@tuev-sued.de]
Sendt: 17. januar 2008 12:33
Til: Jørgen Løvseth
Emne: AW: AW: '78 Granada, gutachten for turbo umbau

Sorry, nothing
Only one Kit for a Porsche
regards
Hans-Werner Wormer
TÜV SÜD, ASP-S,
Tel. 089 - 5791 - 2677

Von: Jørgen Løvseth [mailto:jorgen@tronderford.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2008 12:26
An: Wormer, Hans-Werner
Betreff: AW: AW: '78 Granada, gutachten for turbo umbau

Thank you anyway Hans-Werner, then we knows that.
Can I ask you to search for Tubo-MAY? Eventually other turbo-kits?

With regards
Jørgen
-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: Wormer, Hans-Werner [mailto:Hans-Werner.Wormer@tuev-sued.de]
Sendt: 17. januar 2008 11:23
Til: Jørgen Løvseth
Emne: AW: '78 Granada, gutachten for turbo umbau

Dear Mr Lovseth

Thank you for the interesting Information.

Sorry, we don’t have such an approval for your TurboSet.

We have checked the whole database of approvals. The Fa. Eichberg had never approved any Kits in Germany

Regards
Hans-Werner Wormer
TÜV SÜD, ASP-S,
Tel. 089 - 5791 - 2677

gruffti

Foren Gott
...not really strange. At this times the reviewers had more lieberties with their decisions. The very only thing were the noises and turbo was a guarantee for low noises.
Exhaust emision hasn't been a subject at this times.

That means, it was quiet easy to get a single certificaton for a special car, specially somebody was well known to a reviewer.

May be, the guys who know some thing about thies certifcations are still retiered.
Specially Schwabengarage was know as a helpfull dealer, even when the may-turbo wasn't sold at Schwabengarage.

End of next month I will meet some former ford testing manager and I'm going to ask them for help.
Same time I will ask TÜV-Rheinland at Cologne, who does all the homologation for ford germany.
But there is no guarantee that this will be helpfully....

X

XR4X4

Gast im Fordboard
I’m really thankful for your engagement gruffti

I’m really thankful for your engagement gruffti, and I hope we get the goal at last.
I have during the last days, learned that Ford Stoffler, http://www.stoffler-autotechnik.de/ has bought all the Turbo-MAY parts remaining, from the Ford Dealer Schwabengarage.
I have also learned that the Eichberg turbo sets, are mostly similar with the –MAY sets.

If that’s correct, it’s possible that Mr. Stoffler have approval docs. for Turbo-MAY installed in a Granada with the 2,8i Kølner-engine. I have sent him an e-mail.

By the way, the Schwabengarage couldn’t remember anything about Ganada turbo.
Hey Jorgen,
I've tried to get some information for you, but had no luck. I am so sorry about this.I also asked my master mechanics, but they do not have any idea.
I am really sorry about this.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Tanja Carius
Service Assistenz

Schwabengarage AG

K

Kombifahrer

Gast im Fordboard
ich hab da nen foto von mir gefunden, da ist die schwabengarage münchen erwähnt. allerdings kein granada.

P1010031.jpg

X

XR4X4

Gast im Fordboard
Hello again all German Ford-friends.
I haven't reached the goal in this case yet.

I'm still searching, so if someone of you
has new tips in this case, please help me?

Best regards.
Jørgen

Oben